Can goths wear white? Of course…
Gothic clothing in shades of white is the perfect look for a sweltering summer. We all know white is a cooling colour, yes, as it reflects both light and heat – but there are other good reasons to lighten up your summer style if you’re of a gothic disposition…
Antique insect dress available from Vampire Freaks store
- Items of white lace and other white clothing will be everywhere on the high street. Snap up any white lace clothing you see now, because it won’t be long before stores are selling the autumn fashions.
- When you’re bored with your wardrobe, wearing white is a great way to experiment, especially if you’re weary of both colour and ubiquitous black.
- Monochrome style is timeless. Indeed, eternal. Black and white will always go together. Any white gothic items you buy will blend in with the clothing you already own.
- Dressing in one tone is striking. Like black, when you dress head to toe in white you’ll turn heads.
- White clothing is certainly not restricted to summer. Any ice princess or frost prince knows that pale summer cloths can re-emerge as gothic winter whites, when warmth and substance are added to summer lace and gossamer with the addition of luxurious faux furs.
Throw a dark twist on Alice in Wonderland with gorgeous gothic clothing from the Heavy Red couture noire store
The one drawback of white is that it is notoriously difficult to keep clean. Public transport, messy eating and summer picnics can all stain your pristine outfit. Consider this: Alice in Wonderland availed herself of a white apron to avoid staining her nice clean dress. Might an apron might be the answer? Then again, she did jump down a filthy rabbit hole, so maybe spotless frocks weren’t a huge concern for our Alice…
Simplicity itself: a white tulle swing pettiskirt for under or outerwear, available in sizes 10-34 from Dangerous FX. Order now and get 12.5% off with the code MOOK15
Caring for gothic white dresses and tops
Although you can wear white with everything, you can’t wash it with everything. Try to save up a ‘whites’ load of laundry. If you don’t have that many white items, make sure any clothes or bedding you wash your whites with are colourfast. A cool wash setting will help prevent the colour running – try to wash white clothing with similar colours like creams or pastels. Colour catcher sheets can also protect white clothing from taking on stray dye in the washing machine. To be utterly safe, particularly if your favourite item of pale clothing is vintage, you could always hand wash the garments. Metal from fastenings in the clothing or buckles on your favourite fierce skirt may stain fabric if the metal has started to rust; this only happens rarely but keep an eye out.
With a summer focus on white clothing, you can add a new dimension to the gothic style aesthetic. Evolve, mutate, survive.
Wear whatever you like, but wear it with a top hat. Photography by MJRanum Stock.
Can goths wear white in all genres? Try these ideas on for size…
Cybergoth – A sharp crisp white looks futuristic. Translucent tubing or white mohawks complete this look.
Romantic Goth – White satin corset and elbow gloves, with a full skirt for a sense of tragic bride. Think ‘Miss Haversham’.
Main image: Wednesday Mourning, L.A. Weekly’s Goth Girl of the Week