Eighties eye makeup tutorial
The eighties were a hugely creative period for makeup and the self-expression of the New Romantics influenced much of the electro look today. Esme shows you how to apply 3 shades of eyeshadow for a natty daytime eighties look. Peachy! Scroll down for step-by-step pics…
My mum taught me this when I was younger, so it would have been the 80’s! I have always applied my makeup like this. It can be very dramatic depending on the colours you choose.
You can try neon shades for the night, or smoky shades for a daytime look – I’ve used neutral beiges and soft purples, which are soft colours but still have a satisfying contrast.
What you need to create an eighties look with your eye makeup:
- kohl eye pencil
- mascara (preferably bright)
- 1 light shade of eyeshadow
- 1 dark shade of eyeshadow
- 1 bright shade of eyeshadow
1. Once you have your foundation base, add a thin line of kohl pencil to the top of your eyelid creating a flick at the side if you wish. Repeat this to the bottom eyelid. Gently smudge with your fingers so the edges are not too harsh.
2. Taking the light eye shadow, apply this over the whole eyelid. Gently rub this in from the inner edge to the outer as you want the colour to be stronger the nearer it gets to your nose.
3. Using the darkest eye shadow, apply it to the eyelid at the bottom. Gently smudge the darkest eye shadow with your fingers so it comes out from the middle of your eye to the flick you have created with the kohl eye pencil.
4. Using the brightest eye shadow, add this above the dark eye shadow. Smudge this into the dark area but leave the light eye shadow showing nearest your nose.
5. Now add your mascara.
6. Now enjoy the finished effect.
More by Esme on Mookychick: